Geotechnical Drilling Services
Design and construction of functional, cost-effective structures require a thorough understanding of local soil, rock and groundwater conditions. At TERRA we strongly believe that drilling, sampling and field testing requires expertise to meet exacting standards and perform every task with accuracy and without compromising results.
The method and precision of obtaining data directly influences the decision of foundation recommendations of that specific site. Therefore, unlike other geotechnical firms, TERRA owns and operates a fleet of three (3) TxDOT certified drill rigs, and the dynamic penetrometers are energy calibrated in accordance with ASTM D 4633. Our Lead Drillers have over 25 years of experience and are NICET & TWDB certified. Since, TERRA owns and operates our own equipment, the result is a controlled response to the project schedule which helps to maintain a good customer service.
Capabilities & Services
Geotechnical Drilling and Sampling with:
- Hollow Stem Auger drilling – 4-in to 10 1/2-in
- Mud Rotary drilling
- Air Rotary drilling
- Soil, Rock and Diamond Coring – 3-in and 4-in (USACE Specification)
- Standard Penetration Test (ASTM D 1586)
- Texas Cone Penetrometer (Tex-132-E)
- Piston Sampling – 3-in and 5-in (USACE Specification)
- Thin-walled and Thick-walled Shelby Tube – 3-in and 5-in
- Pressuremeter Testing
- Instrumentation Installation
- Groundwater Monitoring Well
- Vibrating Wire Piezometer
- Soil Resistivity Test
- Thermal Resistivity Test
To maintain operational and technical proficiency, all personnel are involved in continuing education regarding the equipment and technological services that we offer. All field personnel have completed the OSHA HAZWOPER 40 Hour Training course and the necessary 8 Hour Refresher courses as required in OSHA 29 CFR.